Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Flying Fun

Took a one day trip to Florida yesterday for some bidness. On the way back I sat next to a wrestler named Batista. This dude is huge, enormous huge. I'm 6'3" 220 and I felt tiny next to him. I had no idea who he was but I figured he was somebody since everyone walking by stared at him. One guy asked for his autograph for his kid and he obliged which I thought was cool. This morning I did a google search and realized who he was. So anyway that was my brush with fame yesterday.

Now if I may rant a little about flying....

My outbound flight was scheduled to leave at 8:20. At 7:55 the boarding started. By 8:25 the cattle was still being loaded. This is a 757 for crying out loud and yet it took over 30 mins to load. People, when you get on a plane, get in your damn seat ASAP. The seating is quite simple. Rows start at 1 and increment by 1 for each row. It's not too difficult. And when you get to your row, for the love of man, don't take 15 minutes putting your bag up, taking your coat off, chatting with your husband about who gets the middle and who gets the window....ALL WHILE STANDING IN THE AISLE. Come on, I know you've all flown before and you know this.

Now for my 1st class amigos...when you are flying home at 8:00pm, you can put the blackberry away. Seriously, I don't care how much of a big shot you are, at 8:00pm you don't need to check email. You don't need to frantically open up your laptop the second we touchdown and write email for the 5 minutes we are taxying to the gate.

All around me people frantically typing away emails. At 8:00pm. Jezuz people, you need to unwind a little. I'm guessing there are about 1000 people in the world important enough that they NEED to be online 24/7. I'm guessing most of those are not flying on Delta.

And you especially don't need to check it 3 minutes before takeoff. I know many of you think that because a) you are in 1st class and b) you are self-anointed big shots the rules don't apply to you. But the FAA says you need to turn off the f****g crackberry for a reason. I know in addition to geniuses in the sales/marketing fields you all also have PhDs in physics and you know that in reality cell phones are OK on a plane. Fine. When you fly your own private plane, you go ahead and have 7 devices running. When you are on the same plane as me turn the damn thing off. As important as that "Let's move the meeting to 10:30, does that work for everyone" email thread may be, it is not important enough for screw up the plane's navigation. OK?

No comments: