Monday, October 15, 2007

Oil at $85

So oil pushed through $85. How long before $100? A week, a month, a year? Who knows. As long as the dollar keeps falling it will happen. I personally don't think that expensive oil is a bad thing. $100 oil will force people to give up their 11 MPG monster SUV in favor of something more reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I am not proposing government confiscation of everyone's Chevy Suburban. What I am hoping though is that once the cost of filling up the Suburban tops $100, people will realize that commuting from the suburbs to downtown in a 5.7L 4X4 SUV is ridiculous.
I made that realization myself and went from a 14/18 SUV (in reality 12/16) to a 25/32 station wagon. I like not sending twice as much money to Saudi Arabia and I also like the idea of using less oil environmentally wise.

No comments: