Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What was that inflation number again?

2%, 3%. Or so the boys down at the Statistics Office tell me.

Well sure they exclude unimportant things like food and energy, who worries about that stuff? Pfft as if anyone is affected when the price of bread or milk goes up.

But anyway the hyperinflation monster made a personal appearance for me, twice last week.

Incident 1: As I was enjoying a delicious Sonic meal the other day, I saw a very tall and sickeningly skinny teenager going around and changing the menu. At first glance it looked like just an updated color scheme. But alas no, it was updated prices.

Combo #1 from $4.49 to $4.99. No big deal you say, who cares about it? $0.50 isn't going to kill me. No but the fact that in one fell swoop prices increased by 10% should scare the hell out of everyone.

Incident 2: I purchase milk at a local Rite Aid since I drink the stuff by the gallon, literally and it's more convenient than heading to Publix. One day out of the blue the price for a 1 gallon skim jumped from $4.19 to $4.99. Hello 19% increase in price.

But inflation is contained at 2%, or so the government says. And there was something about those WMDs that the government was sure about as well.

I am not one for conspiracies usually. But this is just ridiculous. Inflation is rampant and yet we're being told it's practically non-existent. Something just isn't right.

No comments: